I’m sure we can all relate to leaving the house, and then suddenly remembering – too late – that we forgot something important. It’s either the coffee maker is still on, or the garage door was not closed. Then you begin to doubt that you even locked the doors. You feel helpless, and can’t stop worrying till you get home again.
Just in case you are new to smart homes, you need to know that home automation has broken that cycle already. By just taking out your smart phone and pressing a button to shut that garage door and make sure the lights are off, you are now covered.
Making homes “smart” is a growing trend that has gone from button-press security systems to controlling and observing your home from anywhere.
We just thought to let newbies in on 5 smart home technology trends:
- Décor-Friendly Gadgets. Home automation technology can blend in better with your décor than traditional devices. There are thermostats with good design that are aesthetically pleasing, and smart door locks that look sleek and modern.
- Programmable or Zone-Based Thermostats. Have you ever heated your home for no one? Turn the heat on or down from anywhere with your smart phone or tablet with a programmable thermostat. Zone-based thermostats use motion sensors and heat only occupied rooms.
- Wireless Power Controls. Home automation allows you to control myriad devices with the touch of your finger. This California man installed an automated sound system for music inside and outside his home, along with HVAC, lighting, security and pool/spa features that could all be controlled with his family’s iPads, wall touchpanels or remote controls.
- Automated Door Locks. If you’re carrying heavy grocery bags or a crying child, unlocking your door can be quite a feat. Smart locks take the guesswork out of using a key by automating your front door to unlock or even open as you approach.
- Advanced Security Systems. Watch your kids get home safely from school, make sure they’re doing their homework and not watching TV, or simply set up and arm your security system and other alarms while you’re away with the touch of a button.